|Home||Diplomat Info||Registry||Upgrades||Photos||Links||Farley||Site Tools||Manual||Forum|
Adjusting Parking Brake
Installing Parking Brake Front Cable
Installing Parking Brake Rear Cable
Removing Parking Brake Front Cable
Removing Parking Brake Rear Cable
The rear wheel service brakes also act as parking brakes. The brake shoes are mechanically operated by an internal lever and strut connected to a flexible steel cable.
On all models the wheel brake cables are joined together by an intermediate cable and a front brake cable extending to the parking brake pedal (Fig. 1).
The service brakes must be properly adjusted before adjusting the parking brake. Refer to �Service Adjustments".
Adjust the parking brake after service brake adjustment by tightening the adjusting nut until a slight drag is felt while rotating the wheels. Loosen the cable adjusting nut until both rear wheels can be rotated freely, then back-off the cable adjusting nut two full turns. Apply and release the parking brake several times to make sure that the rear wheels rotate freely without dragging.
REMOVING PARKING BRAKE REAR CABLE
The independent rear brake cables are attached to the rear connectors (Fig. 1). The cable system is adjusted at the equalizer.
Should it become necessary to remove the parking brake cable (rear) for installation of a new cable, proceed as follows.
(1) With vehicle jacked up or on a suitable hoist, remove rear wheels.
(2) Disconnect brake cable from connector.
(3) Remove retaining clip from brake cable bracket.
(4) Remove brake drum from rear axle.
(5) Remove brake shoe return springs and adjuster mechanism.
(6) Remove brake shoe retaining springs.
(7) Remove brake shoe strut and spring and disconnect brake cable from operating arm.
(8) Compress retainers on end of brake cable housing (Fig. 2) and remove cable from support plate.
INSTALLING PARKING BRAKE REAR CABLE
(1) Insert brake cable and housing into brake support plate making certain that housing retainers (Fig.
2) lock the housing firmly into place.
(2) Holding brake shoes in place on support plate, engage brake cable into brake shoe operating lever. Install parking brake strut and spring.
(3) Install brake shoe retaining springs, adjuster mechanism ~and brake shoe return springs.
(4) Install brake drum and wheel.
(5) Insert brake cable and housing into cable bracket and install retaining clip.
(6) Insert brake cable into equalizer.
(7) Adjust service brakes and then parking brake cable.
REMOVING PARKING BRAKE FRONT CABLE
(1) Disengage front parking brake cable from left connector (Fig.
(2) Using a screwdriver, force cable housing and attaching clip forward out of body cross-
(3) Fold back left front edge of floor covering and remove rubber cable cover from floor pan.
(4) Engage parking brake (Fig. 3) and work brake cable up and out of clevis linkage.
(5) Using a screwdriver, force upper end of cable housing and clip down out of pedal assembly bracket.
(6) Work cable and housing assembly up through floor pan.
INSTALLING PARKING BRAKE FRONT CABLE
(1) Insert parking brake cable through floor pan.
(2) Insert retainer into hole in the bottom of the parking brake pedal assembly bracket. Insert cable through hole and insert cable end fitting into linkage clevis. Force upper cable housing into retainer until firmly seated against pedal assembly bracket.
(3) Insert retainer into hole in crossmember. Insert cable through hole in crossmember and force cable housing into retainer until firmly seated.
(4) Install rubber cable cover and floor pan clip.
(5) Attach cable to connector.
(6) Adjust service brakes and parking brake system.
(7) Apply brakes several times and test for free wheel rotation..